The East African trade bloc and the European Union on Thursday condemned the suicide car bombing attack happening earlier in the day in Mogadishu, the Somali capital, leaving eight people dead and 17 others injured.
Somali police have said the target of the terror attack claimed by the militant group al-Shabaab was a convoy belonging to a security firm that guards the United Nations personnel.
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) and the EU said in separate statements that the suicide car bombing attack will not derail efforts to help and stabilize Somalia.
“The Executive Secretary of IGAD Workneh Gebeyehu, strongly condemns the heinous and reprehensible terrorist attack in Mogadishu this morning that killed innocent civilians including destroying parts of a school and hospital,” the bloc said.
Gebeyehu sent his condolences to the government and people of Somalia and the families of the victims of the attack and wished the injured a quick recovery. IGAD, with headquarters in Djibouti City, groups Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya and Uganda.
The EU Delegation to Somalia said the senseless terrorist campaign by al-Shabaab will not deter efforts by the EU to help Somalis.
“Violence will not derail the EU’s resolve to help the people of Somalia. Our thoughts are with the victims’ families and close ones,” the EU said.
The massive attack which also destroyed several buildings near the scene comes as parliamentary elections are underway across the country. It comes barely a week after al-Shabaab militants killed a prominent Somali journalist with State-owned Radio Mogadishu and injured another director with a television station including their driver.
The Somali National Army (SNA) backed by the African Union Mission in Somalia drove al-Shabaab out of Mogadishu in 2011, but the terror group is still capable of conducting attacks, targeting government installations, hotels, restaurants and public places.