The Somali federal and state governments jointly agreed to step up the fight against Al-Shabab militants as the Al-Qaida affiliate group increased its suicide attacks and assassinations against civilians and government installations in recent months.
The leaders, headed by President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmaajo, penned a joint counteroffensive strategy, according to Somali information minister, Abdirahman Yarisow said who held press conference held in Mogadishu.
Following the October 14 truck bombing in Mogadishu which killed over 400 people, Somali government declared war against Al-Shabab fighters who are in control large swath of remote areas in Central and South Somalia.
“The President and the state leaders shed light on the need to a united front against Alshabab and emphasised the formation of a cohesion Somali force to confront the militants,” said Yarisow.
Yarisow said the leaders also gave green light to Somali defence strategy draft submitted by the Defense Ministry.
The move comes barely two weeks after President asked IGAD countries support for the offensive against Alshabaab.
On Thursday evening, over 11 people were after injured a car bomb targetting a civil servant went off in Mogadishu.
No group has yet claimed the responsibility for the attack thought previously Alshabab carried out similar attacks in the city.
Last week, five militants stormed Nasa-Hablod2 Hotel following VBIED detonated at the entrance gate, leading the death of 23 people.
After the government forces ended the hotel siege and freed tens of hostages, Somali government-issued statement saying three of the assailants were captured alive while two others were killed during the operation.
Three weeks ago, over 350 people were killed and over 600 others wounded in a truck bomb explosion on Zoobe Junction. The blast is believed to be the deadliest terrorist attack on Somali soil.