Mandera County authorities have today confirmed two cases of Coronavirus for the first time since Kenya announced the outbreak last month.
Addressing the media at Mandera County headquarters, Mandera Governor, Ali Roba said two patients who travelled from Nairobi by bus have been confirmed coronavirus positive.
According to the governor, the two arrived in the county last week but were put in quarantine centre on Sunday following a report by private medical centre where the patients sought help.
“On fifth of April, 2020, at around 11 am in the morning, a call came through our county hotline from private health facility in Mandera town, indicating the presence of two persons with flue like symptoms and fever, our COVID19 response team picked up the two persons and isolated them at Mandera general hospital..” he said. ” Samples were collected and sent to Nairobi, the results have just comeback this morning, the results confirmed the two persons are Coronavirus positive.”
The governor called on all passengers who travelled with the patients from Nairobi to come for check up.
“We urge our passengers who travelled aboard Maka bus on Tuesday 31st of March and 2020 from Nairobi and arrived in Mandera on Wednesday the first of April 2020 to present themselves to the nearest health facility or self-quarantine with discipline and dedication for 21 days,” the governor said.
The announcement by Mandera governor comes as the country’s health ministry confirmed 12 new other cases of the disease, making the total Coronavirus cases 172.
At press conference, Kenya Health Cabinet Secretary, Mutahi Kagwe said among the patients confirmed to have contracted are four recently travelled Tanzania, South Africa, the UAE and the USA.