Over 100 Al-Shabaab Militants killed Hiiraan region, military official says
Over 100 Al-Shabaab militants have been killed and dozens of training camps were destroyed in operations conducted by Somali Army in Hiiraan region since mid March, military official said on Saturday.
Hundreds of Somali troops backed by AU forces have advanced towards several villages between Beledweyne and Bulaburde towns in a bid to kick Al-Shabaab out of the region.
Ahmed Mohamed Teredicio, the commander of 52nd Bridgade of Somali Army said the military killed 120 Al-Shabaab fighters in fierce fighting with the militant group in Hiiraan region.
The commander applauded the collaboration between the army and residents in the region saying the forces have been operating on tips off by locals.
Gen. Teredicio pledged to lead the operations against Al-Shabaab till the forces fully take control of the region.
Hiiraan administration has stepped up its attempts to reopen and secure road linking Beledweyne and Bula-Burde towns.
The governor of Hiiraan, Ali Jeyte Osman last week confirmed the recapture of several villages in the region.
Osman noted that forces confiscated weapons and a vehicle following clashes with Al-Shabaab militants in Bardhere, Yabalyale and Afar-irdood villages.
In recent months, Al-Shabaab which once controlled large swarth area in south and central of the country has been driven out from many towns and villages by allied forces.
U.S government in collaborating with Somali government has increased aerial bombardment against the group in Southern Somalia.