Scores dead or missing in Indonesia ferry accident
Some 70 people are dead or missing after a ferry ran aground off the coast of Indonesia, according to an updated official toll Wednesday, the latest deadly maritime accident in the Southeast Asian archipelago.
The KM Lestari was carrying about 140 passengers and dozens of vehicles when damage to its hull forced the captain to ground the vessel on Tuesday afternoon about 300 metres (985 feet) off Selayar island, near the larger island of Sulawesi.
Images from the scene showed terrified passengers clinging to the side of the tipped over ferry, while others floated in the sea awaiting help.
Waves swamped the boat’s deck, sweeping trucks and other vehicles overboard, as rescuers battled high winds and rough seas to pluck victims from the water.
Indonesia’s disaster agency said 29 people died in the accident while another 41 are still missing. Nearly 70 people have been rescued, it added.
A fleet of smaller boats, including local fishing vessels, worked to save passengers as bad weather prevented larger craft from approaching the stricken ferry, the transportation ministry said.
It added that most passengers had been wearing life jackets.
“The last passengers on board the boat were evacuated this morning about 12.05am,” Agus H. Purnomo, a director at the ministry of transportation, said in a statement.
“The captain and ship owner were the last two people to get off the ship.”
Rescuers are still scouring the coastline for missing passengers.
The 48-metre vessel was sailing from Sulawesi to nearby Selayar island when strong winds and high waves caused damage to its portside hull and it began taking on water.
The captain deliberately ran the boat aground close to shore in an effort to reduce drowning at sea, the transportation ministry said.
The ship was also carrying some $2 million worth of rupiah currency destined for a local bank branch on Selayar to pay local civil servants a bonus.
The money and the two officials tasked with guarding it were missing, South Sulawesi acting governor Sumarsono, who goes by one name, told CNN Indonesia TV, adding that the authorities were searching for both.
The deadly incident came on the same day authorities officially called off the search for more than 160 people missing after another ferry sank on a volcanic lake in Sumatra two weeks ago.
The vessel was believed to be operating illegally with no manifest and not enough life jackets when it disappeared into the depths of Lake Toba, a picturesque tourist spot.
While some bodies have been recovered, many are believed to be trapped inside the sunken vessel at the bottom of one of the world’s deepest lakes, which plunges 500 metres in spots.
Deadly maritime accidents are not uncommon in Indonesia, where many people depend on boats to get around the 17,000 island nation despite lax safety standards.
More than 300 people are estimated to have drowned in 2009 when a ferry sank between Sulawesi and Borneo islands.