A statement from the Ministry of Information termed the claims as ‘lies typical of the terrorist group.’“ The individuals targeted by the strike had just minutes before being seen desecrating the bodies of Somali National Army soldiers who had been killed by al-Shabaab,” the statement read in part.
Somali Government has dismissed claims civilians were killed during an air strike in Janaale last Friday noting those killed were Al-Shabaab terrorists.
The terrorist, the government said forced the residents of Koban village in Janaale ‘watch the desecration take place.’
According to the statement, the targets were hit by a strike as they left the area. “ Following the criminal act, the al-Shabaab terrorists departed the village and were killed by a precision airstrike as soon as they were away from innocent civilians.”
Pictures circulated online last week following the strike showing bodies and injured persons allegedly hit by the U.S. air strike in the Lower Shabelle area. There were reports the victims were civilians.
The campaign group Amnesty International said in a recent report two civilians were killed in February in U.S airstrike in Lower Jubba.